Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Die Job Chart, die

To be honest, job charts have never been my thing.  I haven't been able to make anything work well.  Instead I just have the kids clean their own rooms and then they ask me for their "Special Job".  I look around the house and see what needs to be done that day and have them do it.  That worked really well throughout the summer.  They knew they couldn't play until their special job was completed.

The school year has proven to be a little more difficult.  I am in more of a rush in the mornings and so it can be frustrating for me to stop what I'm doing and find a job for them.  It is also harder to enforce.  I can't keep them home from school if they don't get their work done.

I thought I would break down and try some kind of a chart.  I wanted to make it playful because my kids really like games. I also was also hoping to add a sense of urgency.

This is the only thing I could think of.



It's a job die.  After the kids have cleaned their room and taken care of their dirty clothes, they roll the die.  You'll want to be the first one done, so you have the first chance to roll.  Once a job has been rolled it's off limits to the other kids.

I had to make three a "Free Day".  Three is the magic number after all.

  

To make a Job Die, just cut a piece of a 4x4 into a square block.  We didn't have one handy so The Joe cut down a 6x6.  What a sweetheart.  The chop saw won't cut a block that size in one chop so he had to turn the block and make several cuts.  Super sweet, but if you can avoid going that route, please do.


Paint  your block.  Mine is green. I've heard it's not easy being green, so it's my goal to make all green things feel very loved.


Add vinyl.


We'll give it a try!  The kids are pretty excited about it so far!

Job Die Vinyl is $4 plus $1 S&H
Pick six household jobs and email Andy
U.S. orders only

Poppyginger@gmail.com

Post Extension:
My kids are loving this!! They've been racing to finish their rooms to be the first to roll.  The free day space is a big incentive. They even spend time practicing rolling. Ha ha ha..

Thanks to Sassy Sites for featuring this project!

13 comments:

  1. You are a genius! I just know your kids will love it. Heck, I would love it, and I'm the only one who does anything! :) Three really is a magic number. And I'm laughing hard about your goal with green. You are so thoughtful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is such a great idea! i love how it's fun, since it's like a game they can play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I though you meant "Die, job chart, die!" That's how I always felt about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you thing of this stuff! So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant!!! I spent months and months trying to figure out the best chore chart system for m daughter. How to represent both the chores that need to be done ever day, and then the ones that have to be done only now and then? Around and around I went to the point of it being ridiculous. Finally, I scrapped the idea of a chore chart altogether, and instead she does "30 minutes of cleaning" every weekday. The 30 minutes are my discretion. Soooo much easier to keep up with! But sometimes I have a hard time looking around and seeign a job - the chore die would be PERFECT!!! Thanks your sharing your great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! The kids are more likely to do the chores without a fight when you make it fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way cute Andrea!...We must be on the same wave length. I was just waiting for Kenny to cut the blocks for some FHE dice and some Primary singing time dice, and I thought it would be fun to do chore dice too...a way to mix it up! (Since Jackson doesn't do his chores because they're "not fun." Let me know how it works :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's super cute! I have some small dice from a strange drug POP display that could just do the trick for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea. Thanks, I'll be calling you for the vinyl when I'm ready.

    ReplyDelete

It's such a pleasure to hear from you! Thank you for taking a moment to comment. If you have a question, please leave me your email address! Thanks a million!
~Andy